The Steering Committee serves as the “executive committee” of the Faculty Senate and typically meets two weeks prior to the Senate. Resolutions approved by the Steering Committee must be submitted to the Senate for final approval.
The Steering committee meets on Thursday from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. The Steering Committee typically meets two weeks prior to the Faculty Senate.
Below are the official agendas, materials distributed, and approved minutes and materials for each meeting. Resolutions approved by the Steering Committee must be submitted to the Senate for final approval.
To view a recording of a meeting, click on the meeting minutes for a YouTube link.
Stephen King, Chair
College of Medicine
College of Medicine-Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences; Senate Representative; Vice Chair, Undergraduate Council; Co-Chair, Undergraduate Course Review Committee407-823-2253
College of Sciences-Nicholson School of Communication & Media; Senate Representative
College of Graduate Studies-School of Modeling, Simulation & Training; Senate Representative; Physical; Chair, Information Technology Committee
College of Sciences-Biology; Senate Representative; Chair, Research Council407-823-4240
College of Nursing-Nursing Practice; Senate Representative
College of Arts and Humanities-School of Performing Arts; Senate Representative
College of Health Professions and Sciences-Social Work; Senate Representative
College of Arts and Humanities-Philosophy; Senate Representative407-823-6857
College of Business Administration-Integrated Business; Senate Representative407-823-5627
Faculty Senate Past Chair; College of Sciences-Physics; Faculty Representative-Strategic Planning Council; Senate Representative-Information Technology Committee; Teach In Class321-696-9914
College of Engineering and Computer Science-Mechanical Aerospace Engineering; Senate Representative; Chair, Undergraduate Council and Undergraduate Policy and Curriculum Committee407-823-0370
Faculty Senate Chair; College of Medicine-Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences; Senate Representative; Chair, Committee on Committees; Chair, Personnel Committee407-266-7108
College of Optics and Photonics; Senate Representative; Chair, Graduate Council; Chair, Graduate Policy Committee; Ex-Officio-Graduate Curriculum Committee, Research Council, UPCC & UCRC407-823-6833
University Libraries - Research & Information Services; Senate Representative407-823-5308
College of Community Innovation and Education - Health Management & Informatics; Senate Representative; Chair, Graduate Program Review and Awards Committee407-823-5668
College of Engineering and Computer Science-Industrial Engineering & Management Systems; Senate Representative407-823-5296
Rosen College of Hospitality Management - Tourism, Events & Attractions; Senate Representative407-903-8048
Faculty Senate Secretary; University Libraries-Interlibrary Loan & Document Delivery Services; Senate Representative407-823-5422
Faculty Senate Vice Chair; College of Arts and Humanities-School of Visual Arts & Design; Chair, Committee on Committees407-823-6470
The Steering Committee is composed of the chair of the Faculty Senate, the vice chair, the secretary of the Faculty Senate, and the immediate past chair of the Senate. In addition to the current officers and the immediate past chair of the Faculty Senate, the total number of senators on the Steering Committee shall be no greater than one-fifth (15) of the total number of senators (75) and apportioned as provided below. Steering Committee members shall be elected by a majority vote of senators present and voting within each of the academic units. There shall be no voting by proxy.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To serve as the “executive committee” of the Faculty Senate.
- To act on behalf of the Senate on matters declared by the chair of the Faculty Senate to be of an emergency nature. Any action taken in this respect by the Steering Committee shall be reported by the chair of the Faculty Senate to the members of the Faculty Senate at or before the next regular meeting. The Senate shall then review such action. The chair of the Faculty Senate will give the members of the Senate advance notice of the emergency meeting of the Steering Committee, if feasible.
- To serve as an advisory body of the chair of the Faculty Senate on any matter which the chair of the Faculty Senate brings before it. Meetings of an advisory nature need not be announced or reported to the Faculty Senate either before or after they occur.
- To monitor Senate elections and maintain election records.
- To develop Faculty Senate agendas. Items may be added to the agenda at any meeting of the Senate under new business by majority vote. Final action on the resolutions not on the agenda cannotbe taken prior to the next Senate meeting.
- To consider resolutions forwarded by Senate committees and to forward them to the full Senate or refer them back to the Senate committee.
- To appoint from its membership liaisons to each of the Senate committees who shall serve as non-voting members of these committees. Liaisons shall act as a resource to the committees and reporton committee activities at Steering Committee meetings.
- To act as a committee on amendments to the constitution and the bylaws.
- To periodically review Senate operational, curricular, and joint committees and councils. Creation of new committees and changes in any committee’s charter, membership, or duties and responsibilities shall be conveyed to the Faculty Senate for consideration asamendments to the bylaws.
- To serve as a faculty advisory body to the president of the university and to the provost and vice president for Academic Affairs when requested.
- To act in executive session when the Faculty Senate is not in session. In this capacity, a majority of the committee shall constitute a quorum. All recommendations made as the Senate’s”executive committee” shall be reported to the Senate and besubject to review and approval by the Faculty Senate.
- To request information from any member of the faculty or administration and invite any such person to meet with it for consultation or advice on matters within its jurisdiction.
- To establish ad hoc committees to facilitate its work.
In addition to the above duties, Steering Committee members collaborate with the dean’s office to solicit Grand Marshals and Faculty Representatives as a member of the platform party at each commencement ceremony. The Faculty Senate office coordinates the scheduling of Grand Marshals and Faculty Representatives.